Re: The future of Octave (Matlab)

From: Trond Eivind GlomsrØd
Subject: Re: The future of Octave (Matlab)
Date: 08 Dec 2000 14:01:03 -0500

Michele <address@hidden> writes:

> Once and for all:
>
> Matlab is a software and Octave is another software.
> So:  stop talking about compatibility between the two!!!!
>
> Why in Matlab mailing lists nobody talks about compatibility with
> Octave?
> Only cause Matlab is the leader and a lot of people think about Octave
> as a clone of Matlab. And maybe they want Matlab for free?

Certainly. I started to use octave because it was a clone, back at the
university (students could have the Windows version of matlab on their
own PCs, but not the Linux version). If it wasn't mostly compatible,
I wouldn't have cared about it. It also meant I could use
documentation (books, papers made by the professors)

> I don't care about Matlab compatibility.

I did, and I still think it's important.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.