About the future of Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: About the future of Octave
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:24:14 -0600

On  8-Dec-2000, Luis Alejandro Marquez Martinez <address@hidden> wrote:

| According to what I have read, it seems to me that the best is
| try to keep the commands and syntax as close as possible to
| matlab, so it won't take a great effort for matlab users to
| migrate to Octave but definitively not to try to have 100%
| compatibility.

I believe that this is what I set out to do.  What I think I found
was that it is not a reasonable goal to try to maintain compatibility,
and that it is hard to decide exactly where to draw the line on the
compatibility front.

|    I agree that creativity is destroyed when
| you are a follower.

But wouldn't you be a follower if you "try to keep the comamnds
and syntax as close as possible to Matlab"?

jwe