Re: The future of Octave

From: David Doolin
Subject: Re: The future of Octave
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 14:54:34 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, John W. Eaton wrote:

> What will you do?

>   I believe that we (users of numerical software tools) could benefit
>   greatly from a freely available, high quality, high level language
>   for solving numerical (and possibly symbolic) problems.  Octave has
>   been an interesting experiment, and has shown that, within the free
>   software community, it is possible to do a lot with limited
>   resources.

(Opinion) Yes, and such a language should have matlab similar syntax for
NLA because many of the new texts (Demmel, Golub and Van Loan, etc) now
use : notation in alorithms.  So in a sense, a standard is being
developed on the basis of mathematical precision and usefulness.

I have alot more to say about the state of computer languages
with respect to numerical programming, but not right now.
Maybe after lunch. ;)

Dave D