Re: Compiling Octave for MacOS X

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Compiling Octave for MacOS X
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 11:57:21 -0600

http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/darwin-development )

| > Known compiler bug. Check http://www.opensource.apple.com/bugs,
| > bug #2563270.
| > Also, search the mailing list archives for "Can't Emit Reloc" as topic, and
| > you should find plenty of info (and hopefully workarounds).
|
| There you'll also find a code snippet to reproduce the error.

Thanks for the pointer.  Apple's compiler for MacOS X is based on gcc,
right?  I'm not really interested in making changes in Octave to work
around bugs in free software.  Instead, the bugs should be fixed at
the source of the problem (i.e., in gcc, in this case).  If you are
interested in seeing a fix for this problem, you have several
options.  You can fix the compiler yourself, hire someone to do it, or
wait for someone to do it for you for free.  Also, since Octave is
free software, you can use the information on Apple's bug site to help
you work around the problem in Octave's sources.  If you do the
latter, please feel free to post the patches for others to use until
the bug is fixed in the compiler.

jwe