Re: Win2K installation

From: Tom Weichmann
Subject: Re: Win2K installation
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:32:13 -0400

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 26-Oct-2000, David Doolin <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | In message <address@hidden>, "Car
> | los A. Neves" writes:
> | >
> | >There is a instaler called Instaler VISE. It is the same used to do the
> | >installation of the last version of GIMP for Window$. The website is:
> | >www.mindvision.com.
> |
> | Last I checked Vise had an obnoxious license preventing me,
> | a graduate student, from using their installer software.
> | The current Nullsoft installer that Tom is using is really
> | very slick, and ships with source.
>
> Yes, because of the license, we should not use the Vise installer for
> Octave.  If the Nullsoft installer is missing some important feature,
> then perhaps we can add it, or find someone else who can.
>
> | The Windows install was flawless for me.  *Very* nice piece
> | of work there, and I can now start widening the octave
> | user base among my Windows only colleagues.
>
> This is good news!
>
> jwe

I think that the NSIS installer is working out pretty well, however if install
via ftp is really something that we want, the installer that cygwin uses is
open source, and does exactly what we would want.  I beleave that it is wrttten
in c/c++, and being that I am only taking my first class on that subject I do
not think that I would quailfy to take on the task, but it might not be so hard
(??) for someone with c/c++ competance.

If you are interested in taking a look the source for the cygwin installer is
located at:

CYGIN_MIRROR/pub/cygwin/snapshots/winsup-src-xxx.tar.bz2

CYGWIN_MIRROR=surces.redhat.com,
                    ftp.geekgadgets.org,
                    ftp.freesoftware.com, etc.............
A full list of mirror sites is available at http://www.cygwin.com/mirrors.html