Win2K installation

From: Dr. Julian A. de Marchi
Subject: Win2K installation
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 23:04:33 -0400

The new GNU Octave for Windows installation has been tested on Windows 2000
by address@hidden and he reports that it worked fine.  He
mentions a brief "flash" of an error...  this would likely be at the end of
installation, when the same thing happens on NT.  I wrote a line to try to
launch Octave right away after installation completes (so you can play
without delay!).  However, this feature only seems to work on Windows 98.
I'll remove it for the next release.

In the meantime, "bigger" ideas are brewing for an update- and
slow-modem-friendly version of the installer.  If anyone out there has tips
on freeware or GPL installers for Windows with more capability than that by
NullSoft (purveyors of WinAmp) -- which is what we found and used so far --
please pass the word on.

Also, as an aside, I've been in touch with Matthew Roberts and his word has
it that octave.sourceforge.net may be back in town with a little help from
our octave friends out there.  Keep your channels locked for more info on
what's possibly -- after all -- the "new" place for Octave user contributions
(while they await official release at octave.org!).

Cheers & Thanks,
Julian / matlinks.net

The latest GNU Octave for Windows 95/98/NT/2K can be found at
http://download.sourceforge.net/matlinks/octave-windows-2000oct25d.exe