--interactive without prompt?

From: Albert Graef
Subject: --interactive without prompt?
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 12:00:44 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently writing an interface to Octave in which another
programming language interpreter is driving the Octave interpreter via a
pipe. Since running non-interactively makes octave exit after the first
error in an evaluation, I invoke octave with --interactive, but now I
have to get rid of the prompt. The question is, how can I accomplish
this in a simple manner?

The solutions I came up with so far:

1. Pass a PS1=PS2=PS4=""; command to the interpreter before any other
commands. Works, but still the first prompt is printed.
2. Make a temporary .octaverc file with PS1=...="". Works, but smells
like a kludge. :)
3. Digest all output from octave via a bidirectional pipe. No, too much
work, and error-prone. :(

There should be a simpler way, no? How about a --no-prompt option? Or an
option to make the interpreter proceed after errors when running
non-interactively? An option to pass initialization commands? Is there
anything like that (couldn't find anything in the docs and the maillist
archive)? Any other solution?

TIA for any help you can give,
Albert

--