Re: octave 2.1.30 and FreeBSD 3.3

From: Chuck Robey
Subject: Re: octave 2.1.30 and FreeBSD 3.3
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 20:09:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I installed the gcc-2.95.2 FreeBSD package.  It installs gcc295 and
> g++295.  After making symlinks in /usr/local/bin to point gcc, cc, g++
> and c++ at the 295 versions, the compile went immensely better.
>
> (The FreeBSD port should probably require 2.95 and do something to
> specify g++295/c++295.)
>
> I only had the NPOS problem described in
>
>   ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/MAILING-LISTS/help-octave/2000/827
>
> I fixed that by changing NPOS to std::string::npos.
> This was too frequent, so I put
>
> #define NPOS string::npos
>
> in
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-portbld-freebsd3.3/2.95.2/include/g++/string
>
> rather than patching all the source files.
> After that, I was able to build and install octave, and it seems to
> work fine.

Greg, I now have access to a FreeBSD-3.4 machine.  I'll test out your
change, see if it's needed and works, and see if I can't get a patch that
accomodates both newer and older versions into the FreeBSD port.  I
normally only test it on FreeBSD-current.  For -current, the latest
octave version builds quite nicely.

Thanks for cc'ing me.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
address@hidden  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.