Sound

From: Børge Strand
Subject: Sound
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 20:02:51 +0200 (MET DST)

Is there a sound function available for Octave? I'm planning to set my
computer up as an S/PDIF signal generator for some audio hardware
development.

Until now I've been converting vectors to .wav files which were burnt
on CDs and played manually. A little too expensive and time-consumig,
unfortunately.

Matlab says

>> help sound

 SOUND Play vector as sound.
    SOUND(Y,FS) sends the signal in vector Y (with sample frequency
    FS) out to the speaker on platforms that support sound. Values in
    Y are assumed to be in the range -1.0 <= y <= 1.0. Values outside
    that range are clipped.  Stereo sounds are played, on platforms
    that support it, when Y is an N-by-2 matrix.

    SOUND(Y) plays the sound at the default sample rate of 8192 Hz.

    SOUND(Y,FS,BITS) plays the sound using BITS bits/sample if
    possible.  Most platforms support BITS=8 or 16.

    See also SOUNDSC.

>> help soundsc

 SOUNDSC Autoscale and play vector as sound.
    SOUNDSC(Y,...) is the same as SOUND(Y,...) except the data is
    scaled so that the sound is played as loud as possible without
    clipping.

    SOUNDSC(Y,...,SLIM) where SLIM = [SLOW SHIGH] maps the values in Y
    between SLOW and SHIGH to the full sound range.  The default
    value is SLIM = [MIN(Y) MAX(Y)].

    See also SOUND.

--
Børge