use Octave for other project...

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: use Octave for other project...
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:35:38 -0500 (CDT)

On  8-Jun-2000, Herman Bruyninckx <address@hidden> wrote:

| I'm looking into the opportunity of using the numerical capabilities of
| octave in a new open source project (for robot control). How easy would it
| be to use octave as a ``library'' for a new project?

I don't think it would be too difficult, but I am probably not the
most objective observer.

| I guess the license then _has_ to be GPL, just as Octave itself?

Yes, all of Octave, including the libraries, is released under the
terms of the GPL, not the Lesser (formerly Library) GPL.  This is
intentional, and I have no plans to change the terms.  So if your
code links to the Octave libraries, you must meet the requirements of
the GPL.

Thanks,

jwe