ANN: MatPy - Matrix package for Python

From: Huaiyu Zhu
Subject: ANN: MatPy - Matrix package for Python
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:07:46 -0700 (PDT)

Note: I sent this to info-octave and was bounced.  Now sending to help-octave.
My apology if it appears twice.

                MatPy - Matrix package for Python

This package allows numerical computation and plotting in Python with a
MatLab-like interface.  The implementation is stable and passes a small set
of tests.  I have started a SourceForge project on this.

If you are a Python user needing numerical computation, or an Octave user
looking for object-oriented programming and rich data structures, you might
want to give it a try.

It is currently implemented as wrappers around Numeric and Gnuplot packages.
Attractions for current Numeric python users include

- vectors and matrices behave as in linear algebra.
- default *, / are matrix-wise, not element-wise.
- both matrix- and element- functions (such as expm and exp, etc).
- provide interface to gnuplot for plotting.
- provides many convenience operators:  A.T().I() for inverse(transpose(A)).

Attractions for current Octave users is the availability of one of the best
OO language with data structures like lists and dictionaries of any objects.
At this moment you have to use Python itself for numerical computation, but
we are looking into a direct Octave interface (Help needed.)

Where to get it?
    Home:     http://MatPy.sourceforge.net/
    Download: http://download.sourceforge.net/MatPy/MatPy-0.2.6.tar.gz
    Project:  https://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=6490

What is there?
    This is an open source project hosted by SourceForge.  You'll find
    codes, tests and docs (html, ps, pdf), links to the project, CVS tree,
    mailing lists, etc.

Why another numerical package?
    To have the benefits of both Python and Octave, while utilizing the
    speed of the Numeric package.

How can I help in the development?
    You are welcome.  There are a lot to be done.  Please join SourceForge
    and let me know your SF username and your interest.  Or if you have
    comments, questions, patches, or anything else you want to say,
    mailto:address@hidden

Author and license:
    Huaiyu Zhu <address@hidden>
    GNU Public License, version 2