Re: Function-pointer - function as argument for functions

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Function-pointer - function as argument for functions
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 05:23:44 +0100 (BST)

>From: "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
>
>If you feel strongly about it, then the way to make it happen is to
>propose a complete design, implement it, and contribute it (or provide
>sufficient funding to enable someone else to do it for you).
>
>It is easy to say `I think feature X would be cool'.  It is a
>completely different thing to actually make it work, and even harder
>still to make it mesh well with the current syntax and semantics (much
>of which are inherited from Matlab, of course).

On the other hand, spending a bunch of time designing and implementing
something which may be rejected is plain silly.  If this isn't the
forum for fielding ideas about what to work on, then what is?  Besides,
the "wouldn't it be cool if" might inspire someone else to implement it.

So, wouldn't it be cool if Octave had argument defaulting a la S? E.g.,

   function [a,b] = spectrogram(x, fs=8000, step=30, window=60)
        if nargin == 0, usage(spectrogram(x,fs=,step=,window=); endif
   endfunction

   spectrogram(x, step=25);

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden