Re: patch to make octave check for ATLAS BLAS libs, etcetera

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: patch to make octave check for ATLAS BLAS libs, etcetera
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:24:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Joao Cardoso wrote:
> -lg2c correctly appears in FLIBS, but not (correctly) in LIBS. The fact
> that -lg2c does not appears in LIBS but -latlas appears produces
> undefined references when linking pure C code:

If that's the case, I don't understand your problem.  The final octave
link command in src/Makefile includes $(LIBS) $(FLIBS), so it should
include both -latlas and -lg2c, as it should.

> > > Also, even if liblapack.so/a does not exists in the system,
> > > libcruft/lapack-xtra is compiled, given multiply defined symbols on
> > > libcruft.so/a creation. The solution is to remove lapack-xtra from the
> > > `AC_OUTPUT(Makefile' list in configure.in.
> >
> > No.  The correct thing is to remove the files in lapack-xtra/ from
> > lapack/, and the files in blas-xtra/ from blas/.  I think my patch
> > mentioned this?  If not, it should have.
>
> I don't agree, as it asks for the user manual intervention, losing the
> `automagic' of automake/autoconf/etc.

You don't understand.  Removing those files (i.e. moving them to *-xtra)
is something that you should do as a part of applying my patch.  So, if
my patch is included in the official Octave, users would never have to do
this themselves--it would already be done.

(It should be done with my patch whether or not the system LAPACK/BLAS are
available.)

Steven