Re: patch to make octave check for ATLAS BLAS libs, etcetera

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: patch to make octave check for ATLAS BLAS libs, etcetera
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:43:06 -0400

> I had one problem: after `configure' found ATLAS, -latlas etc where
> added to LIBS, and after that `configure' fail to compile other generic
> test cases, as -lg2c was also needed!? I quicky solve it by forcing LIBS
> to have -lg2c.
> Perhaps your patch should instead add -latlas etc to FLIBS? I am not a
> configure expert!

FLIBS should only be the libraries that are needed to link Fortran
stuff, and they should be linked after LIBS anyway and should include
-lg2c when that is needed. I would be inclined to categorize this
problem as a bug in the part of configure that sets FLIBS.

> Also, even if liblapack.so/a does not exists in the system,
> libcruft/lapack-xtra is compiled, given multiply defined symbols on
> libcruft.so/a creation. The solution is to remove lapack-xtra from the
> `AC_OUTPUT(Makefile' list in configure.in.

No.  The correct thing is to remove the files in lapack-xtra/ from
lapack/, and the files in blas-xtra/ from blas/.  I think my patch
mentioned this?  If not, it should have.

> I was able to build working shared libraries of ATLAS, but not of netlib
> LAPACK... was anyone able to do it (with gcc-2.95.2)?

What sort of problems were you having?  (LAPACK has an annoying build
procedure.  It should really be fixed, but it is like pulling teeth to
get these Fortran guys to use autoconf/automake.)

Steven