Re: Octave Repository at Sourceforge

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave Repository at Sourceforge
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:07:26 -0500 (CDT)

On 11-Apr-2000, etienne grossmann <address@hidden> wrote:

| From: Rafael Laboissiere <address@hidden>
| #  On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 08:50:58AM -0500, Matthew W. Roberts wrote:
| #
| #  > By popular demand, I've started what hopefully will become a central
| #  > location for Octave scripts, functions, etc.:
| #  >
| #  > http://octave.sourceforge.net/
| #  >
| #  > [snip]
| #
| #  That is a great idea and I am willing to collaborate, although I do
| #  not have much to contribute for now.  I am already a registered
| #  user at SourceForge and am contributing to the PLplot project.
| #
| #  The only thing that I am not fully pleased with is the name you
| #  chose for the project.  As a matter of courtesy with John Eaton,
| #  you should avoid using "octave" as the project name.  If it is not
| #  too late, how about changing the project name to COAN (Comprehensive
| #  Octave Archive Network)?  Sort of cousin of CTAN, CPAN, and CRAN...
| #  Later, if necessary, octave.sourceforge.net would be used for the
| #  Octave project itself.
|
|   John, what is your opinion? It's the most important one, on that
| subject.

I have no interest in moving Octave's web and ftp site or CVS archive
to sourceforge now, but I suppose it would be better if the project
name for the sourceforge archive was not Octave.  It might help avoid
some confusion.  If it is not easy to change at this point, then the
next best thing would be to have a prominent notice on the sourceforge
page that tells people where to find the actual Octave site.

Thanks,

jwe