Digital Unix and Octave

From: Stephen Eglen
Subject: Digital Unix and Octave
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 09:58:10 +0100 (BST)

[This message is probably of interest only to people trying to install
on DEC alpha.]

 > I am endeavouring to get octave installed on my Dec alpha workstation. It
 > is running OSF1 V4.0
 >
 > I tried installing the binary (2.0.14 I think) but ran into problems with
 > libstdc++ not having the shared functionality.

coincidentally, just yesterday I succeeded in building Octave 2.0.16
on my DEC OSF V4.0F.  The compile went fine, although it took about an
hour, which seemed quite long.  anyway, it didn't error, and it seems
to work okay.  Couple of suggestions:

For a long while, I used the 2.0.13 binary kit available on the ftp
site; I had to download the library libstdc++.so.2.8.1 from the ftp
site -- did you get that?

Compiling 2.0.16:
I used the configure command:
./configure --prefix=/home/data6/stephen --enable-shared --enable-lite-kernel

which produced the final output:

Octave is now configured for alphaev56-dec-osf4.0f

  Source directory:     .
  Installation prefix:  /home/data6/stephen
  C compiler:           gcc  -mieee-with-inexact -g -O2 -Wall
  C++ compiler:         c++  -mieee-with-inexact -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions
-fno-implicit-templates -g -O2 -Wall
  Fortran compiler:     g77 -mieee-with-inexact -O
  Fortran libraries:     -lg2c -lm
-L/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/alphaev56-dec-osf4.0f/2.95.2 -L/usr/lib/cmplrs/cc
-L/usr/local/lib -lm
  Use GNU readline:     true
  Default pager:        less
  gnuplot:              gnuplot

  Do internal array bounds checking:       false
  Build shared libraries:                  true
  Minimal kernel option:                   true
  Dynamic Linking (dlopen/dlsym):          true
  Dynamic Linking (shl_load/shl_findsym):  false

How does this compare with yours?

 > I tried building 2.0.16 and got the following message
 >
 > /usr/include/sys/signal.h:298: parse error before `int'
 > make[2]: *** [readline.o] Error 1

Do you have the gnu readline library available?  If not, maybe try
compiling this first and making that available, assuming the above
errr implies it was not trying to use the gnu readline libraries.

 > Perhaps I can get a binary kit from someone?
I could certainly try if the above fails - let us know how you get on.

Stephen

p.s. some useful sys info:

 % uname -a
OSF1 mango V4.0 1229 alpha
 % gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/alphaev56-dec-osf4.0f/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)