Re: win95 build

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: Re: win95 build
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:37:54 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Douglas Steele wrote:

> win95b, cygnus b20 with/without Mumit Khan's fixes, also tried ecgs.
> Octave-2.0.16
>
> ./configure works fine
>
> make fails after some time, varies according to which version of
> installation, eg egcs fails at /liboctave/CMatrix.cc
>
> In all cases failure due to generation of a General Protection Fault.
> Error message gives Make as source of error.  Have tried two different
> versions of make without success.
>
> I see in cygnus 1.0 faq, cygnus not recommended for Win 95 because
> freeze after average of 1/2 hour (which is probably about how far into
> build I tend to get).
>
> 1) could this be cygnus/win95 bug, or anything I could fix ?

Quite possibly a Win9x issue, where the signaling code conflicts with
some of the Win9x OS (for lack of better term ;-) code. However, this
only shows up on certain installations -- I have run hour long build
jobs on my laptop which runs Win98 SE and Cygwin v1.1.

I build on Linux, and sometimes on NT, so I really don't know the
issues here. My last build on NT was for 2.0.14.

I would build the executable for you if it were not for the fact that I
just don't have the time to deal with some who'll invariably take time
away from their busy schedule to take me to task for uploading *just*
the binary and so on (even if I put a pointer to source and *promise*
to deliver it on request). I simply don't have the resources to host
the whole bit.

> 2) I suppose djgpp wouldn't work ?

I wonder why not. I know djgpp doesn't implement fork() (POSIX allows
that), but does implement other ways to run subprograms (execvp).
It probably handles signals just fine as well.

Regards,
Mumit