installing octave-2.0.16 on Mandrake 7.0

From: Keith Alan Baggerly
Subject: installing octave-2.0.16 on Mandrake 7.0
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:17:40 -0600

The problem:
I just ran through "make all" and everything compiled nicely.
I shift to root, run "make install", and once more things work.

Then, I invoke octave, and get

parse error near line 5 of file
/usr/local/share/octave/site/m/startup/octaverc

parse error near line 5 of file
/usr/local/share/octave/2.0.16/m/startup/octaverc

octave:1>

If I type "help" at the prompt, things crash immediately:
octave: token.cc:102 double token::number(): Assertion 'type
 tag == double_token' failed.
aborts...

If I type a numerical expression, such as 3+4, at the prompt,
I get

parse error:

>>>3+4
   ^

and I get the prompt back again.

I'm using
gcc version 2.95.2, with the associated
lbstdc++ version 2.95.2 and
flex version 2.5.4 and
bison version 1.28.

To make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did "make distclean"
and rebuilt and reinstalled, with the same results.

Suggestions appreciated!
Thanks.
Keith Baggerly