Virtual mem problem

From: Guest9
Subject: Virtual mem problem
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:01:47 +1300

Ok, here's my problem:
 (half of it is that I'm new to programming and don't know much but anyway:-)
I've got octave running under cygwin b20.1and I'm running a P333 with 64 Mb,
about 800 Mb HD space free, and am getting memory problems.  I'm loading a pair
of matrices, about 720 by 570 and doing a bit of simple manipulation to get a
third (same size).  Then I've got simple loops running so I can scan this third
matrix, entry by entry, and simply average values above a certain threshold.
Now I don't know if I doing it very efficently but it works, for the first time
anyway.  If I try it again (after "clear") on a new pair it gives me this-

(C:\octave\bin\octave.bin 1017) commit_and_inc: VirtualAlloc failed
error: memory exhausted -- trying to return to prompt

then if I try and exit it often does this

octave.bin:5> exit
(C:\octave\bin\octave.bin 1017) Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
error: segmentation violation -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
save to `octave-core' complete
Segmentation fault

though other times it just exits normally.

here's part of my script:

clear;
load f5hs3.txt
load f5ls3.txt
s=size(f5hs3);
sum=0;
x=0;
C=-636.73*(f5hs3-f5ls3)./f5ls3-0.079098*f5hs3+332.15;
for i=1:s(1,1)/2
  for j=1:s(1,2)/2
     if f5hs3(2*i,2*j)<3400
       sum=sum+C(2*i,2*j);
       x=x+1;
     endif
  endfor
endfor
average=sum/x;

So any ideas? Am I doing things totally wrong or something?  Also if I do get
this problem sorted out am I going to be able to run octave non stop analysing
pairs?
Any help would be appreciated (sorry about the long message)
Ian