Re: density plot

From: Joao Cardoso
Subject: Re: density plot
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:43:29 +0100

"(Ted Harding)" wrote:

> On 27-Sep-99 Joao Cardoso wrote:
> >
> > use plplot_octave and plot the matrix using `shade'. plplot_octave is
> > available at http://merlin.inescn.pt/~qual/plplot_octave
> >
> > Joao
>
> The above inspired me to try having another go at plplot, so I pulled
> the above and also the latest plplot-990122.tar.gz and tried getting
> it set up.
>
> First, I can't compile plplot. Despite having tk.h in /usr/X11R6/include,
> which is a path that seems to be searched in the configure file, "make"
> nevertheless tells me that it can't be found. I also get "can't find
> arrayobject.h so python won't work (but I don't seem to have this file at
> all). Finally, "make" collapses with the message
>
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `stupidtk.c', needed by `stupidtk.o'.
>  Stop.
>
> The plplot configure file is massive, and I can't make out what to do.

Well, I can forward you complains to the plplot list :-) Might I? I've
done it!

PLplot is going to have a CVS, and I hope that this will give a warp in
development. After all PLplot is the only GPL multi-platform/language
graphics library, isn't it?

What is your OS? there is a pre-built plplot and plplot_octave debian
package, maintained by Rafael, which is also an Octave user.

I configure plplot with all but the xwin and tk driver; I would
recommend to even discard the tk driver for start. *my* configure
options are:

./configure --with-double --with-gcc --disable-dp --with-opt \
--with-shlib --disable-cxx --disable-f77 --disable-itcl \
--disable-linuxvga --disable-python --disable-mskermit

you might also try leaving out the --with-shlib, which often is platform
dependent.

My tcl/tk is in /usr/local, and is founded. But sometimes the generated
makefile contains the incorrect version of the libraries,
libtcl7.6.a(so) instead of libtk8.0.a(so) etc.

What is your tcl/tk version? perhaps you should configure with
--disable-tk, for start.

My makefile (in plplot-990122/tmp) has the following references to
stupid:

$(PLLIB_SO):    $(LIB_OBJS) stupidtk.o
    -$(RM) $(PLLIB_SO)
    @echo ""; echo "Building shared library"; echo ""
    cd shared; \
    $(SHLIB_BUILD) ../$(PLLIB_SO) \
        $(LIB_OBJS) stupidtk.o
    ln -sf $(PLLIB_SO) $(SONAME)
    @echo ""

stupidtk.o:
    $(CC) $(CC_FLAGS) stupidtk.c
    cd shared; $(CC) $(SHLIB_CCFLAGS) $(CC_FLAGS) ../stupidtk.c

stupidtk$O: stupidtk.c

> If anyone out there has successfully compiled plplot and plplot_octave
> for Linux (I'm using kernel 2.0.33, libc5), I'd be grateful for a bit of
> private correspondence on how it might be achieved.

Perhaps we should maintain any further conversation private? unless
someone says no.

Luck,
Joao

> With thanks,
> Ted.

> E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
> Date: 27-Sep-99                                       Time: 17:14:53

---
Joao Cardoso                |   e-mail: address@hidden
INESC, R. Jose Falcao 110   |   tel:    + 351 2 2094322
4050 Porto, Portugal        |   fax:    + 351 2 2008487