Installation of Octave on Windows98

From: Shilpi Gupta
Subject: Installation of Octave on Windows98
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 05:00:12 -0700 (PDT)

I am from J.K. Institute, India. We are trying to install Octave on
Windows 98 machine. We have downloaded octave2.0.9,
less-gnu-win32.tar.gz and all the other files required to install
ocatve. we are following instructions provided in
README.gnu-win32.install .
it is specified there that we have to install
less-gnu-win32.tar.gz along with cygwin32. we have added
c:\gnuwin32\b19\h-i386-cygwin32\bin to the path. Next we have to change
over to directory
/gnuwin32/bin19/h-i386-cygwin32 and then give the command
      tar zxf /path/to/less-gnu-win32.tar.gz

this is where we are having problem.
1. where to place less-gnu-win32.tar.gz
2. what is the value of "path " here
3. how does "to" come into picture

please let me know how and where to install less-gnu.