precision of calculations

From: Robert Butora
Subject: precision of calculations
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:27:44 +0300

Does anybody know how the precision of calculation
(not output_precision !) is controlled in Octave ?

I've calculated some matrix where I expected results
to be 1 or 0. Instead of 0 I've got values in order
of 1e-16 ... 1e-18.

Should I chase an error in my calculation or does it
have something to do with precision of calc. ?

Could anybody give some general thoughts on precision in Octave ?

Thanks
Robert