Re: Matlab File Format

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: Re: Matlab File Format
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:04:44 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

> Hello;
>
>     I had a small experience with the Matlab file API, I was able to run
> some of the simple examples and produce a Matlab save file. One question
> that dogged me, was whether it is possible to run the Matlab file API on
> a machine that does not have Matlab already installed.  I was not able
> to find documentation that confirmed or denied this...

No matlab needn't be installed.
It is just a library which itself is NOT licensed.
Of course the library should be available for the
platform you work on.

>     It is my guess that if you can somehow statically link your code
> against Malab, then you can produce code that will run on a machine that
> does not have Matlab installed.  I run Matlab on University owned W95
> machines and run Octave on my own Linux-only box.  Since I don't own a
> copy of Matlab for Linux,  the idea of using the Matlab API did not work
> for me.
>                                                 Jonathan Hill
>
> > Here's how it works: (from my oct 1997 post here)
> > (some directory locations have changed since then!)
> >
> > ftp.mathworks.com/pub/tech-support/library/matlab5/bin/readmemat.txt
> >
> > Basically, it's a "free" library with appropriate functions to
> > manipulate .mat files. You get the *.h and *.so files...

Mit freundlichen Gruessen
                                 Daniel Heiserer
-----
Dipl.-Phys. Daniel Heiserer, BMW AG, Knorrstrasse 147, 80788 Muenchen
Abteilung EK-20
Tel.: 089-382-21187, Fax.: 089-382-42820
mailto:address@hidden