Re: PlotMTV again

From: A+A Adler
Subject: Re: PlotMTV again
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 16:25:58 -0400 (EDT)

Note: This discussion probably should take place on octave-graphics

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 address@hidden wrote:
> If you are intrested in getting hold of PlotMTV, I would now suggest
> getting the version at the Finnish Tela ftp site:
>
>   ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/sci/math/tela/needed/Plotmtv1.4.3t.tar.gz

This does indeed seem to be the latest version. From 1995.

It sure seems to be able to do some neat things. Nice 2d and 3d
plots with mutliple images in a window. You can zoom and rotate
plots with the X controls. Nice colour abilities...

The licence is right too. This is copied from README.INSTALL

#AUTHOR INFO
#-----------
#Written by Kenny Toh (address@hidden), software developer for
#the Technology CAD Department, Intel Corp, Santa Clara.
#
#If you like this software, send me a note...
#
#Standard disclaimer:
#
# Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
# documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
# provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
# both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
# supporting documentation.
#
# These software is provided AS IS with no warranties of any kind.  The author
# shall have no liability with respect to the infringement of copyrights,
# trade secrets or any patents by these file or any part thereof.  In no
# event will the author be liable for any lost revenue or profits or
# other special, indirect and consequential damages.

> Another, which could be of interest to us Octave folks, is that
> the "Tela-ised" version of plotMTV can be driven dynamically, it
> seems: by connecting its stdin and stdout to sockets, and sending
> a specially formatted XEvent to the PlotMTV window, it is (allegedly)
> possible to get it to read a succession of datafiles into the same
> istance of PlotMTV under the control of a driving program (which
> could be "octave" -- it is "tela" in their case).

I took a quick look at the Plot/test_plotmtv.c function and
saw a few undocumented command line switches added by the Tela
folks.

They have added a -filelist option which will accept data
file names from stdin, and -earlydelete to have plotmtv
delete the files when it's finished with them. This could
be a reasonable approach from octave, expecially since
plotmtv seems to accept binary format files.

It would be better to be able to talk completely through
pipes. The code looks well organized, and changes should be easy
to make, ...

Just my 2c.