PlotMTV again

From: Ted Harding
Subject: PlotMTV again
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 23:07:20 +0100 (BST)

Folks,

If you are intrested in getting hold of PlotMTV, I would now suggest
getting the version at the Finnish Tela ftp site:

  ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/sci/math/tela/needed/Plotmtv1.4.3t.tar.gz

Noty only is this about as late a version of PlotMTV as you're likely to
find, it also has a few useful extensions specially programmed by the
Tela team.

One is the option to print a graphic to file as a GIF, as well as
PostScript.

Another, which could be of interest to us Octave folks, is that
the "Tela-ised" version of plotMTV can be driven dynamically, it
seems: by connecting its stdin and stdout to sockets, and sending
a specially formatted XEvent to the PlotMTV window, it is (allegedly)
possible to get it to read a succession of datafiles into the same
istance of PlotMTV under the control of a driving program (which
could be "octave" -- it is "tela" in their case).

I haven't yet managed to suss out how to achieve this in practice (it
doesn't seem to be convered in the documentation) but I'm looking into it
in the code. If anyone gets there before I do, it would be a public
service to inform us of the details!

best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>