Re: Octave 2.0.13 on linux & seg fault

From: Himanshu Gohel
Subject: Re: Octave 2.0.13 on linux & seg fault
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:57:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Vivek,

-=>I have installed it on a RedHat Linux 5.2 machine. Octave seems to work
-=>ONLY for user 'root'. (At least I am able to get in, help -i, and do
-=>simple arithmetic, etc. and quit safely :)
-=>
-=>However, when invoked from a normal user, it quits after "Segmentation
-=>fault (core dumped)". What could be the reason?

Check permissions on all files...

Do you have a tracing utility on Linux like truss/trace/sar?
You can use those to monitor what the program is doing.
For example "truss -t open octave" would monitor all open()
calls made by octave.

Or you could look at the core file produced by octave in a debugger
to see at what point it is crashing.

Himanshu Gohel, address@hidden