Re: archive of optimisation routines

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: archive of optimisation routines
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 01:55:33 -0500 (CDT)

On  3-May-1999, heberf <address@hidden> wrote:

| These look pretty good to me.  Could someone who understands the GPL
| better than I do take a look at this page and tell me if it's
| compatible with the GPL.  If someone needs to talk to Professor Ye
| then I'll nominate myself.  I may have a little pull given that we
| are both business school professors.

The copyright notice on the web page says:

  These software disclose material protectable under copyright laws of
  the United States. Permission is hereby granted to use, reproduce,
  prepare derivative works, and redistribute to others at no charge,
  provided that the original copyright notice, Government license and
  disclaimer are retained and any changes are clearly documented;
  however, any entity desiring permission to incorporate this software
  or a work based on the software into a product for sale must contact
  Yinyu Ye at the Department of Management Science, The University of
  Iowa.

The problem is the part about incorporating the software or a work
based on it into a product for sale.  Since Octave may be sold or
included on a CD that is for sale, and the GPL doesn't allow adding
restrictions like this, there is a conflict.

jwe