Problem using Octave and gnuplot in Windows

From: ERIKSSON ANDERS
Subject: Problem using Octave and gnuplot in Windows
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 22:29:58 +0200

Hi,
there seems to be a problem when running Octave 2.0.13 and
gnuplot 3.7 on Windows'98.

The following command sequence works as it should:

octave>    a = rand (100,1)
octave>    a

Octave displays the column vector in browsing (less) mode and the Octave prompt
returns when I hit the q key.

However, the following sequence will cause Octave to hang:

octave>    a = rand (100,1)
octave>    gplot (a)
octave>    a

gnuplot works perfectly, but when the last command displays the "a" vector,
and Octave goes into browsing mode, it will hang when I try to exit
this mode.. The Octave prompt does not return, regardless how I try to quit the
browsing
mode using the q key or ctrl-C.

The problem seems to be related to the pipe-gnuplot process. If I kill this
process after the gplot command, before going into the browsing mode,
the browsing mode will work.
Likewise, if I use the closeplot command after the gplot command,
the browsing will work. But these work-arounds are rather inconvenient.

Any suggestions for a solution?

I have made the installation according to the instructions in
ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/gnu-win32/README.gnu-win32-install

I use the following binaries:

octave-2.0.13-i386-pc-cygwin32
less-gnu-win32
pipe-gnuplot
cdk

They are all the current versions from
ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/gnu-win32/

I use the current gnuplot 3.7 binary
gnuplot3_7cyg from
ftp://ftp.dartmouth.edu/pub/gnuplot

Best regards