Segmentation violation in octave

From: Michael Hanke
Subject: Segmentation violation in octave
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 20:59:42 +0200 (MET DST)

Hallo,

I just tried to build octave 2.0.14. Unfortunately, I get
segmentation violations. I tried to debug the point of the crash: It
is really strange. octave crashes *while* calling initialize_globals
at line 418 od octave.cc. This function is called with argument *char
while the prototype on line 189 of octave.cc uses an argument of
String&. During the type cast, the above mentioned error occurs in
egcs/1.1.1/include/g++/std/bastring.h:76 at basic_string::release.
Unfortunately, at this point I am lost. Does anybody have an
explanation?

My build:
Solaris 2.5.1, egcs 1.1.1, libstdc++.so.2.9.0
Options for c++, gcc: -g -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer
Options for f77 (Sun's native compiler): -xO4 -xtarget=native -dalign
Configuration: enable-dl, enable-shared, with-f77

Many thanks for any hints.

Regards,
Michael

PS. After configure, linking the shared libraries with c++ leads to a
lot of errors. Instead, I used ld -G for building shared libs.
Moreover, egcs does not seem to understand -rdynamic. M.

|  Michael Hanke                Royal Institute of Technology   |
|                               NADA                            |
|                               S-10044 Stockholm               |
|                               Sweden                          |
|  Visiting address:            Lindstedtsvaegen 3              |
|  Phone:                       + (46) (8) 790 6278             |
|  Fax:                         + (46) (8) 790 0930             |
|  Email:                       address@hidden               |
|                               address@hidden       |