end, i

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: end, i
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 01:17:37 -0600 (CST)

On 23-Mar-1999, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:

| end)
| -----
| there was a request of matlab's 'end' a few weeks ago.
|
| Is that implemented right now? Which version of octave.

No.

| i)
| ----
| i is probably THE most used indexing variable. :-(((
| On the other hand it is sqrt(-1);
|
| I had a bug in an m-file using i, assuming it's sqrt(-1).
| Unfortunately I used it as an index before. That cost me 1 week to find
| and is probably a big error-source.
|
| Is there a way to implement something like a global variable
| which could be used in the octaverc files looking like this:
|
| indexing_i=
| FALSE;
|
| So I am not allowed to assign i to new values.

Use I or __I__ or __i__ for sqrt(-1) instead of i.

  Octave, version 2.0.13 (i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1).
  Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998 John W. Eaton.
  This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
  For details, type `warranty'.

  octave:1> I
  I = 0 + 1i
  octave:2> __I__
  __I__ = 0 + 1i
  octave:3> __i__
  __i__ = 0 + 1i
  octave:4> __I__ = 1
  error: can't redefine read-only constant `__I__'
  octave:4> __i__ = 1
  error: can't redefine read-only constant `__i__'
  octave:4> I = 1
  I = 1

jwe