Re: Optimisation functions missing? (fwd)

From: heberf
Subject: Re: Optimisation functions missing? (fwd)
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:54:45 -0600 (CST)

Your friends comments were interesting and (I think) correct.  It all comes
down
to the following: there is no easy answer the question "What is the best
optimization method".  For many computational computer types this is
frustrating
but it's true.  Optimization is the black art of numerical computing.  In
practice what you do is try something and if it doesn't work you tweek the
starting values and change some parameters and if that doesn't work you use a
different method.

What this means for Octave is that we are (probably) never going to have a
function called nlp that does general nonlinear programming.  We should code up
several different functions and put them in a toolbox.

On a slightly more positive note let's be practical here.  Just because we
can't
prove that a certain method is best doesn't mean we shouldn't use it.  Best
just
means fastest.  If you can wait a few minutes more then we can use one of the
many existing methods and for some problem is will be best but not for others.
Either way we will still get the solution.

Free software really frees us from a lot of these questions.  If we were
writing
a commercial package we would stress about this because we would be worried
about our package becoming obsolete.  With GPL's software if someone figures
out
a better way then they can change the code and submit it.  That way we all win.

The point is let's gets started.  The first improvement is easy because
something is better than nothing.  Let's get some first drafts of code up and
tinker.

Heber