host unknown

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: host unknown
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:50:42 -0600 (CST)

On 20-Jan-1999, Huaiyu Zhu <address@hidden> wrote:

| While installing octave on a machine with Celeron cpu, ./configure aborts
| with "Host name unknown, you must specify one".
|
| uname -a => i686
| $HOSTTYPE => i386
|
| Is this the problem?
|
| I've installed the same octave-2.0.13 on other machines, same Linux
| distribution (RH5.2) without problem.  In those cases
| uname -a => i586
| $HOSTTYPE => i386
|
| Are there real differences for octave to run on these machines or are they
| just convenient name tags?  Where should I specify?  It's not in INSTALL.

What is the real error message?  I don't see the string you quote
anywhere in Octave's config files.

As far as I can tell, the HOSTTYPE environment variable does not
matter at all.

I build Octave on an i686 system all the time, so I don't think that
should be a problem.

What is the complete output of uname -a on your system?

BTW, please report bugs to address@hidden

Thanks,

jwe