source-ing files vs. entering on cmd line?

From: Daniel Friedman
Subject: source-ing files vs. entering on cmd line?
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 15:26:03 -0500 (EST)

I am running Octave version 2.0.13.  Suppose I start Octave while in
directory 'foo', and I have a file in ./bar/mstuff.m I wish to run,
to declare a bunch of special functions at the beginning of a particular
session.  Without adding the 'bar' directory to LOADPATH, since I need
the bar directory only once, is there a way to specify to octave where to
look for mstuff.m just one time?  If I could enter "bar/mstuff" on the
command line, that would be great, but this of course doesn't work.  Do
I have to change to the bar directory, run mstuff, and then change back
where I was?

I tried source("bar/mstuff"), and this executes without error, but the
functions defined in mstuff are not remembered by Octave for later use.

Thanks,
--dan

 Daniel Friedman    address@hidden    http://www.isr.umd.edu/~danielf