Octave to "C"

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Octave to "C"
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 09:31:09 -0500 (EST)

  Frederik> I have succeeded with installing Octave on my Windows98 PC, but
  Frederik> have no experience with UNIX.

I used Octave a bit under NT4, and it was rather annoying because of problems
from the host OS. Even on machine with ample RAM, I got sudden problem with
dynamic memory allocation, and the program aborts.  Medium term, you _really_
want to use Linux.

  Frederik> - How can I run a Matlab program in Octave?

Folks who use both say "almost as in Matlab" as Octave is highly
compatible. However, some commands may have a different name, or might be
missing. If you use material from Matlab's toolboxes, you might to rewrite
some of those functions.

  Frederik>  - Are there any tools or information available to convert from
  Frederik> Octave to "C"-code?

If you're asking for an "Automatic Octave to C translator", no such luck [1].
You can however manually recode cpu-time critical components of your
application in C++ and dynamically link them into Octave. That is easier than
it sounds, and is rather frequently explained on this list, so you might want
to study the mailing list archives a little.

[1] Anybody listening who is looking for a nice M.Sc. thesis topic ?

--
Linux is not only free; it is, arguably, a better operating system, offering
a degree of stability and an ability to scale up that NT cannot match.
                                             -- The Economist, Oct 3, 1998