use of '~' in Matlab-like plot function

From: Michael Walsh
Subject: use of '~' in Matlab-like plot function
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 08:42:29 -0500 (EST)

How do you use the '~' (errorbars) plot style specifier in the Matlab-like
'plot' function?  For example, I have three data vectors:

  x, y, y_stddev

Trying several combinations of the above in the 'plot' argument list, I
always get errors like the following:

  error: invalid number of data columns = 2 specified for plot style
  `errorbars'

etc...

How can I plot error bars without resorting to gplot?

Thanks,

Mike

Michael J. Walsh                                                Code 2211
address@hidden              Naval Undersea Warfare Center