Re: Hacked gnuplot/win32 binaries NOT AVAILABLE ANY MORE

From: John Fletcher
Subject: Re: Hacked gnuplot/win32 binaries NOT AVAILABLE ANY MORE
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:34:13 +0000

> Date:          Thu, 10 Jul 1997 15:14:12 -0500
> From:          "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
> To:            Mumit Khan <address@hidden>
> Cc:            address@hidden
> Subject:       Hacked gnuplot/win32 binaries NOT AVAILABLE ANY MORE

> On 10-Jul-1997, Mumit Khan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | Re-reading the copyright statement, it seems that distributing even source
> | patch is NOT ok.
>
> | Now that I know that the "gnu" in "gnuplot" was just accidental, and
> | not what it seems (I know that everybody else knew this, but I've never
> | had to use gnuplot since I have access to other packages, so never knew),
> | I'm a bit concerned about octave's dependence on gnuplot for graphics.
>
> I believe it is ok to distribute a patch but not a complete modified
> distribution.  The Copyright file that is distributed with gnuplot
> says:

Some years ago I contributed a BINARY version of gnuplot for a
particular situation (PC DOS 32 bit).  I did this by contributing it
to the gnuplot coordinator and it then propagated to the gnuplot
sites, where it still is.  (DOS34.ZIP)

Contributed binaries of the current versions (3.6 beta) are made
available in a site in Southampton, U.K. (Details from the gnuplot
FAQ.)

This may be a way in which these binaries could be made available.

I hope this is helpful.

John Fletcher
Dr John P. Fletcher          Tel: (44) 121 359 3611 ext 4625
Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry (CEAC),
Aston University,            Fax: (44) 121 359 4094
Aston Triangle,              Email: address@hidden
BIRMINGHAM B4 7ET  U.K.
CEAC Web site http://www.ceac.aston.ac.uk/