Re: segmentation fault

From: Craig Earls
Subject: Re: segmentation fault
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 01:37:36 -0500

arthur blair wrote:

> I'm trying to compile 202 for linux. I've upgraded to redhat 4 and
> went on to install gcc 2.7.2.1 & g77 & all the latest libraries that
> were on this CD (infomagic dec 96).

        This is a common problem with the newer linux libraries, it is caused
by the fact that the libc and libg++ shared libraries both use libio,
and therefore collide. I managed to get octave 2.0.2 to compile and run
using -enable-lite-kernel -enable-shared by installing libg++2.7.2.1
FIRST, then installing libc5.4.17. Reinstalling in the reverse order
brought the segmentation fault back.

        If that doesn't work, revert to ealier versions of libc and libg++, but
install libg++ first. CAUTION, be VERY careful how you revert libc,
install the old version, sync the hard disk three times, delete the new
version, then re-boot, because NOTHING else will work.
If you can figure out an easier way to back down a library version, let
me know. ldconfig may be statically linked, but when I deleted my newer
libc nothing else would run, which forced me to reboot, ldconfig runs at
system startup, so it linked in the older library. If you have compiled
programs wiuth the new libraries (>5.4.X I think) they will not be
binary compatible with libraries <5.3.X due to locale changes.

        I have corresponded with the libc and libg++ developers about this, but
have gotten no useful insight as to why the order of installation
matters. You may have to bypass the redhat package manager and install
the binaries from tsx-11 directly. I don't use any package manager so I
can't help you with the particulars of either slackware or red hat.

Craig P Earls                                 address@hidden
LT US Navy, MIT Ocean Engineering             address@hidden