Re: pre-installation questions

From: Vinayak Dutt
Subject: Re: pre-installation questions
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 95 12:38:57 CDT

Antonio writes:
#
#it seems we're going to install Octave on a Sparc20-Solaris in the
#next few days.  I've already downloaded the following files,
#
#gcc-2.6.3.tar.gz
#libg++-2.6.2.tar.gz
#make-3.72.1.tar.gz
#octave-1.1.1.tar.gz
#octave-doc-1.1.1.tar.gz
#gnuplot-3.5.tar.gz
#
#since the version of gcc we have now is older, and we don't have
#gnumake yet.
#
#The question is, will we need any other program(s)?  will we need flex
#(we have lex)?   Are there any comments you would like to make
#before we start the compilation party?
#

This should be it, except you would also required a Fortran compiler. I
had compiled for Solaris 2.4 with Sun's Fortran compiler (version 3.0.1) on
a Sparcstation 20 myself. If you do not have Fortran compiler,
you will have to use f2c (Fortran to C converter). You should be able to
get that from a gnu site. But I don't have any experience with f2c. Others
might comment on that. I think a lot of Linux users would have used
f2c as Fortran compiler replacement.

There was fix about flibs.sh file where you will have to remove inclusion
of values-Xs.o file. I think John Eaton might have already patched up
Octave source for that.

Hope this helps. If you have any problems compiling for Solaris, mail to
this mailing list or e-mail.

--vinayak-
/*
 * vinayak dutt