Re: octave is unable to load builtin function gamma

From: Vinayak Dutt
Subject: Re: octave is unable to load builtin function gamma
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 95 09:41:40 CST

#Hello,
#playing around with the PLS toolbox from Barry M. Wise written for
#MATLAB, I noticed that my version of octave lacks a working gamma function.
#lgamma is not working either.
#
#My system is a linux box and octave is the 1.1.1 binary from
#ftp.che.utexas.edu .
#
#Any way to make gamma () available or to emulate it ?
#

The configuration script for octave checks if the Unix version that you have
has a builtin
gamma function, like for example SunOS has. If the systems does not have a
builtin
gamma function, then it uses one from slatec Fortran library which is built
into libcruft.

So in either case, gamma function should be available, otherwise you would end
up with
undefined lgamma(), and the linking would have failed.

To me it looks like the linux version to which the binary on ftp.che.utexas.edu
was compiled
to is different from what you might be having. It seems that the version that
you have is
lacking a bulitin lgamma() and the precompiled bnary was compiled on linux with
bultin lgamma(). I am not a linux user, so this is pure  speculation on my part.

--vinayak-
/*
 * vinayak dutt
 * graduate student, ultrasound research