Building octave with gcc 2.6.3

From: Pierre P. Tremblay
Subject: Building octave with gcc 2.6.3
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 95 08:09:23 EST

Hello Octave users,

I am trying to compile up Octave 1.0 with gcc 2.6.3 on an SGI Indigo
under IRIX 5.2.  From the looks of things, it seems like the package
would compile nicely with gcc 2.5.X, but differences between gcc 2.5.X
and gcc 2.6.X cause the build to fail.

In particular, file src/tree-const.h seems to be missing a declaration
for constructor tree_constant::tree_constant(int), as compiling file
f-schur.cc produces the following error:

f-schur.cc: In function `class tree_constant * schur(const class tree_constant *
, int, int)':
f-schur.cc:147: call of overloaded constructor `tree_constant(int)' is ambiguous
tree-const.h:561: candidates are: tree_constant::tree_constant(const Complex &)
tree-const.h:556:                 tree_constant::tree_constant(const ColumnVecto
r &)
tree-const.h:552:                 tree_constant::tree_constant(const RowVector &
)
tree-const.h:550:                 tree_constant::tree_constant(const DiagMatrix
&)
tree-const.h:565:                 tree_constant::tree_constant(const ComplexDiag
Matrix &)
tree-const.h:589:                 tree_constant::tree_constant(tree_constant_rep
 &)
tree-const.h:587:                 tree_constant::tree_constant(const tree_consta
nt &)
tree-const.h:571:                 tree_constant::tree_constant(const ComplexColu
mnVector &)
tree-const.h:567:                 tree_constant::tree_constant(const ComplexRowV
ector &)
tree-const.h:584:                 tree_constant::tree_constant(tree_constant_rep
::constant_type)
tree-const.h:546:                 tree_constant::tree_constant(double)
f-schur.cc:147: in conversion to type `tree_constant'

Additionally, file liboctave/Matrix.h also suffers from problems: it
is missing a large number of friend declarations.  For example, when
compiling file liboctave/DiagMatrix.cc:

Matrix.h: In function `class DiagMatrix imag(const class ComplexDiagMatrix &)':
Matrix.h:676: constructor `DiagMatrix::DiagMatrix(double *, int, int)' is privat
DiagMatrix.cc:1191: within this context

I am sure that some of you must have seen (and solved ;) these problems
before.  Drop me a line if you have patches for these.

On an unrelated note, is there a way to get the configure script to
understand that my libf2c.a file lives in a non-standard directory?
I have resorted to manually editing the Makeconf file generated by
configure to add in a -L/local/std/lib to make variable LIBFLAGS.

Thanks a lot for your time,

                Pierre (address@hidden)