Re: Octave graphics and Octave in teaching laboratories

From: Vinayak Dutt
Subject: Re: Octave graphics and Octave in teaching laboratories
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 94 07:40:54 CST

#Hi John and Co..
#
#On Mon, 31 Oct 1994, Mike Reid wrote:
#
#> Sorry to jump in with some possibly uniformed questions about Octave.
#>
#>
#> However, in the release that I currently have availiable to me (0.79
#> --- we are installing 1.0 RSN...) there appears to be no way of
#> displaying two pictures at the same time. e.g. a function + fourier
#> transform. Is there this capability in 1.0, or upcoming versions?  In
#
#John, I recall asking you about the possibility of invoking multiple
#incarnations of gnuplot under one octave session.
#
#Did you ever look into this?
#
#was there some shell limitaation involved?
#
#I realize that it is a gross hack, and that the program that really needs
#fixing in this respect is gnuplot, not octave!
#
#But it is an awfully useful feature, and would be worth the major mem
#hoggery it would entail, even on my wimpy 8meg 386, IMHO! :-)
#
#any body have any thoughts?
#

there is a patch for gnuplot, called multiplot patch, which allows one
to plot multiple plots in gnuplot. i think there is a strong possibility
that this patch will get incorporated into next gnuplot release. look
out in the gnuplot group on usenet for details.

--vinayak-
/*
 * vinayak dutt
 * graduate student, ultrasound research