Re: Make execute twice the same dependency

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Make execute twice the same dependency
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 22:22:50 -0400

On Mon, 2016-10-10 at 14:12 -0700, Emmanuel Mayssat wrote:
> Sample code:
>
> echo:
>    echo "toto"
> target: echo echo                           # echo to be executed twice
>

> is there a way to execute the echo target twice in the same make command?

There is no way to do this with targets.  Make considers each target to
have been fully completed when it runs the recipe for that target, even
if the target file is not actually generated.  It will only ever try to
build a given target one time in any given execution of make.

If you gave an idea of what you're really trying to do we might be able
to advise you on a better way to do it.