Re: [GNU Make 4.2.1] Implicit rule not used

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: [GNU Make 4.2.1] Implicit rule not used
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2016 14:26:22 -0700

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Jari Vetoniemi <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have Makefile where implict rule is not used for target that is
> prerequisite of another target.
>
> You can see the Makefile here:
> https://ptpb.pw/WxM9

(putting a makefile that's about the same size as your email message
behind a link.  WTH?)

> If I remove the recipe from vitaserve target GNU/Make will not use the
> implicit rule '%: %.c' for the target.
> Is this a bug in GNU/Make or am I understanding the implicit rule
> search algorithm wrong?

All the %s in a pattern rule have to match exactly the same string.
So, how is make going to match this:

vitaserve: vitac.c
        $(LINK.c) $^ $(LDLIBS) -o $@

with a %:%.c rule?  What would the %s *both* match?

Philip Guenther