Re: a syntax for multitarget rules

From: AB
Subject: Re: a syntax for multitarget rules
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:27:16 -0500

As we are on topic of multi-target rules, I am curious if the following is
a reasonable work-around.
Given that pattern rules can have multi targets, can we do something like:

%%%%%%%%%%

# Say we have a recipe that creates the files a.x and b.y together.
# I create a pattern rule based on a.x and b.y as below
a.x% b.y%:
     <Recipe to make both a.x and b.x together>

.PHONY : build

# We now build a.x and b.y, with the assumption
# that the stem for the pattern rule above in this case would be an empty
string
build : a.x b.y

I recognize that this more of a hack, but apart from that are their any
other issues with this approach.

Thanks
AB