Re: support of whitespace in a variable name

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: support of whitespace in a variable name
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:17:20 -0500

On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 15:18 +0100, Daniel Amous wrote:
> we have a pb recompiling a project based on makefiles in which most
> variable names have space  character within  (I am not talking about
> heading or trailing space);
>
> So do you know what could be the settings to do to allow GNU make within
> cygwin context  to accept space in variable name ?
> Our cygwin version:  version 2.761
> Our GNU Make version: 3.82.90

As of GNU make 3.82, whitespace is no longer supported in variable
names.  This is an intentional change and there's no plan to reintroduce
that support (it was made to allow for new capabilities in the future).
If you need to continue to use that build environment without change
you'll need to drop back to GNU make 3.81; otherwise you'll need to
change the variable names to use some other character besides space.

Sorry I don't have better news :-(.