Re: directory search fails!

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: directory search fails!
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 09:10:22 +0200

> Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:52:19 +0330
> From: ali hagigat <address@hidden>
>
> The source of confusion in the section, "4.4.3 How Directory Searches
> are Performed",  is that at the items 1 and 4, it talks about 'target'
> but these two targets are different. When reading search algorithm, at
> item 1, one imagines a rule which has a target, some prerequisites and
> some commands.
> Then in Item 4 it again talks about 'target', while this new target is
> actually the prerequisite of the target of Item 1.
> The distinction of target and prerequisite has not been indicated
> well. One asks from himself after reading the text, the target of what
> rule? The prerequisite of  what rule?

Did you read the reworded description I posted here a couple of days
ago?  There's no "target" in that description, only prerequisites.

I would appreciate feedback from you on the proposed text.

> Another source of confusion is : " any prerequisite lists which
> contain this target"!!
> It is better to be substituted with : "when this target is seen or
> used as the prerequisite of other rules"
> "any prerequisite lists which contain this target" may be interpreted
> as, this target has been in some rules and the pathname found is used
> for all prerequisites of such targets.

I don't understand the source of the confusion.  A "prerequisite list"
is a list of words; a list that "contains this target" is a list one
of whose words is the target.  What is confusing here, exactly?  Can
you give an example where this confusion comes to light?