Re: directory search fails!

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: directory search fails!
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:54:41 +0200

> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 10:48:00 +0330
> From: ali hagigat <address@hidden>
>
> 4.4.3 How Directory Searches are Performed
> The algorithm make uses to decide whether to keep or abandon a path
> found via directory search is as follows:
> 1. If a target file does not exist at the path specified in the
> makefile, directory search is performed.
> 2. If the directory search is successful, that path is kept and this
> file is tentatively stored as the target.
> "this file is tentatively stored as the target"!!
>
> What does it mean? Target file will be stored on hard disk?

No, it will be stored in Make's memory as the target, including its
path.

This means that if the Makefile uses a target named "target1", which
is found by directory search at /foo/bar/baz/target1, then Make will
use "/foo/bar/baz/target1" in all places where the Makefile mentions
"target1".  At least this is my understanding of the manual's text.

Clearly, this wording needs clarification to be less ambiguous.  If my
interpretation is correct, I volunteer to suggest a better wording.

> tentatively, what does it mean? What does non-tentatively mean?

"Tentatively" means pending the outcome of what is described below,
under "4. After processing ...".  That is, this tentative decision
could be reversed by Make if the target does need to be rebuilt, see
4b.

Again, there are better ways of saying this, and I volunteer to
suggest an improved wording, if Paul confirms that my understanding is
correct.