Re: Weird behavior on program execution with gmake (socket + pthreads)

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: Weird behavior on program execution with gmake (socket + pthreads)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:34:32 -0700

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Axel <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm alwys interested to understand why was it working with gmake but not
> in bash ? Was there a side effect which allocate some memory around the
> program virtual one or something like this ? Is it gmake specific or
> linux specific ?

gmake increases the stack size resource limit (ala setrlimit(2) or
ulimit(1)), so if the dangling pointer referenced an area near where
the stack would nominally have ended, the rlimit change may make it a
valid pointer.

(If that's it, it's a bit bizarre, as the "invalid argument" error
message implies errno was EINVAL, which suggests it wasn't a matter of
a bogus pointer (that would have been EFAULT), but some other bogus
bit.  Failure to initialize the variable whose address was passed as
the addrlen argument?)

Philip Guenther