Weird behavior on program execution with gmake (socket + pthreads)

From: Axel
Subject: Weird behavior on program execution with gmake (socket + pthreads)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:06:12 +0200

Hello everyone,

I make a multi-client server in C++ on Linux with sockets using
pthreads. I have noticed that my program doesn't have the same behavior
whether I use my Makefile or not.

My program runs fine when I type "make run" (the binary is executed
through the Makefile, see the attached file). When I run it by hand or
using gdb (or with python popen4) the thread which manage the new
connections (accept() on the main thread socket) cannot accept them
(accept() returns -1 with errno to "Invalid argument"). I tried to put
the thread code in the main and it worked whether I was using gmake or
not.

So my conclusion is that gmake/my Makefile affects the program execution
via permissions of the thread socket/ressource sharing or something like
this. It maybe something else but I wasn't able to reproduce it anywhere
but with gmake. I'm lost in an unknown land and looking for some help.

Can any one give me a hand on this unexcepted behavior ? Many thanks in
advance.
Axel ANGEL.