Change behaviour of a multiple target rule

From: Gerald Lutter
Subject: Change behaviour of a multiple target rule
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 13:06:33 +0200

Hello List,

I'm using make (3.81) from cygwin and I encountered the following "problem"
with a rule that looks like this:

$(targetlist): $(sourcelist)
        do something that generates $(targetlist) from $(sourcelist)

Now in my case the receipe is executed several times (number of entries
inside the target list). I think this depends on the evaluation of multiple
target rules described inside the gnu make manual. But the receipe builds
all three files together and therefore the command does not have to be
executed more than one time.

My question is now, is there a possibility to change this behaviour or do I
have to reduce the number of targets to prevent this?

Best regards,
Gerald